Do you have a special interest in consumer issues and the development of standards for products and services? If so, Canadian Standards Association invites you to get involved.
We believe that consumers are vital contributors to the standards that affect their lives and the things they buy and use. That's why we welcome public comment on standards under development, and encourage consumers to participate in research and on key standards development committees. Contributions like these help us to produce standards that more accurately reflect the needs and expectations of the entire marketplace.
There are several ways you can get involved:
- by commenting on standards for public review
- by applying for membership in the CSA Consumer Network
- by applying to become a consumer representative on a standards committee.
Standards for public review
All members of the public are welcome to review and comment on standards under development, through the public review process. See Current Standards Activities Online for the status of current standards development projects.
Consumers who seek a more active role in standards development can apply for membership in the CSA Consumer Network. The network currently has more than 200 volunteer members. Network members have the opportunity to respond to surveys and participate in focus groups, forums, and other outreach activities in their areas of interest.
Through your involvement in the Consumer Network, you can:
- influence the development of standards that affect consumers
- help to ensure the safety and improve the quality of life for people who come in contact with specific products and services
- help to increase public confidence in important standards
- gain a valuable network of contacts in Canada and around the world in areas of critical importance to consumers.
To apply for membership in the CSA Consumer Network, complete the online application form.
[ BACK TO TOP ]
About one-third of the volunteers in the Consumer Network work directly on key standards committees as consumer representatives. Consumer representatives have the opportunity to contribute their unique viewpoint and raise questions and issues that may not otherwise be addressed by the committee. They contribute balance, impartiality, and user experience to the development of standards.
Consumer representatives receive ongoing support for their work on CSA standards development committees. This support includes:
- training sessions for new volunteers
- if required, financial support for out-of-pocket travel expenses to attend committee meetings
- information about CSA standards development policies, procedures and activities
- networking sessions with other volunteers
- access to research materials and reports
- help with consumer research to better represent consumer interests
- information about the activities of CSA's Consumer Services Program.
To volunteer as a consumer representative, complete the online application form.
Find out more
- For more information about becoming a consumer volunteer, call 1-800-463-6727, press zero (0) and ask for Consumer Services. Or e-mail email@example.com.
- For information about specific standards or about the public review process, call 1-800-463-6727 and ask for the InfoCentre. Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To learn about the Canadian Standards Association and its relationship to CSA International, see Who's Who Behind the Marks.
[ BACK TO TOP ]